Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Biological Big Bang

You may remember that I wrote a post musing about reconciling the Bible account of creation with evolutionary evidence. I suggested that the biblical "days" might correspond to specific, relatively short creative periods in the history of the earth.

At that stage, I didn't know that this paper - "The Biological Big Bang model for the major transitions in evolution" - was around. The hypothesis presented is that evolution actually happened through a series of "big bangs" - sudden, rapid increases in diversity - and the intervals between the "big bangs" is marked by little evolutionary innovation.

I want to investigate the paper at greater length. I have no real desire to reconcile it with what I wrote - after all, that was only really musing. But it's interesting, though ....