Tuesday, November 29, 2005

After some thought, (part of) a poem

Scott Adams has continued his explorations of issues related to intelligent design on his blog. It is hard to tell whether he is trolling or genuinely curious - after all, he is 'only' a cartoonist.

His latest post, which has (so far) garnered a mere 300 comments (sigh - have I had that many since I started?!) reminded me of a poem by Steve Turner - here's the last verse.

If Jesus was thirty-two today we'd have to
end it all. Heretic, fundamentalist, literalist,
puritan, pacifist, non-conformist, we'd take Him
away and quietly end the argument.
But the argument would rumble in the ground
at the end of three days and would break out
and walk around as though death was some bug,
saying 'I am the resurrection and the life . . .
No man cometh to the Father but by me'.
While the magicians researched new explanations
and the semanticists wondered exactly what
He meant by 'I' and 'No man' there would be those
who stand around amused, asking for something
called proof.

Steve Turner, "If Jesus was born today", Nice and Nasty


Anybody familiar with any of my poems will probably immediately recognise the influence that Turner has had on me, but that's not important right now.